05/06/2016 Things are sprouting! Mostly stuff I want to sprout, but there are a few weeds. Ok, a LOT of weeds.
My pumpkin experiment worked. I put 3 seeds from a 2011 packet on damp paper towels and 3 from a 2013 packet and put each in its own little lidded container to see which one would sprout, if any, and which one first. This morning I saw a root poking out of one of the 2013 seeds. Potted it up and now out into the greenhouse it goes. The others are back to their window to keep trying. Not that I need 6 pumpkin plants.
The yellow wax beans (Second attempt) that I direct seeded have started to appear. The first batch I started inside and they did not do well. I think I started them too early.
05/10/2016 Total of two pumpkin seeds from 2013 sprouted so I have them potted up in the greenpolyhouse. I don’t know what to call that thing. It is like a greenhouse and like a polytunnel hybrid. Polyhouse maybe? Anyway, back to the pumpkins. 2011 seeds did not sprout. They might have eventually, but I do not need more pumpkins. So I tossed them.
The beans are growing. Both kinds have poked up through the soil. Started sprouting some of the hot pepper seeds from last year’s crop. I don’t use that many hot peppers – we still have a bunch in the freezer – but someone here expressed an interest in hot pepper jelly so….
Speaking of jelly, I made my first ever jam today from raspberries that I had in the freezer. So sweet and yummy. And I even used a reduced sugar recipe where the fruit:sugar ratio is not 1:1, but 2:1. Why haven’t I done this before?
As part of my learning how to do new things journey, I tried to video my yard and uploaded the very raw results to my YouTube channel. If you want to be bored silly, you can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ-YpuQf4atLN1ipA9cuVFg
Next step, figure out how to edit and label the videos, and how to change the channel name. UCJblahblahblah is not a good name.
I’m moving the biggest raised bed. Rotating it 90* and shifting it back toward the patio about 2′. It will make for a better traffic flow and space for another bed later.
Work on the path is somewhat underway. I’ve moved the one daylily and put part of it in pots and part of it in the strip between the sidewalk and curb. Tidied that up, put in the edging and leveled it out a bit.
The girls are laying consistently. I forgot to mention April’s total egg count. We got 123 for the calendar month! I have a whole quiche in the freezer along with 14 frozen eggs. We’re eating a lot of hardboiled eggs throughout the week. And still, I have eggs. Lots and lots of eggs. We get between 3 and 5 eggs daily with the occasional 6 and once 7! But those darn roosters are starting to annoy me. They are not aggressive to me, but they are just very hard on the girls. Some of them are bald on their backs. I either need to rehome the boys, learn how to butcher and process, or make protective gear, aka chicken saddles, for the girls. I am leaning toward option 2, much as I like them. I’m putting it off until spring broody season is over. If one of the girls does want to be a mama, I’d like to use our own eggs this time.
More later, as I get on with the yardwork.